Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sandy's Ugly Xmas Caps

I am delighted to announce that one of my friends who also subscribes to this blog has graciously given me permission to post pictures of her Ugly Xmas Caps along with her pattern...


From Sandy Lewis of Wisconsin 

Last evening - in a fit of boredom...or Something...I knit an Ugly Christmas Hat.  REALLY UGLY....Knock your socks off....UGLY...Which I wore to work today, along with my Equally Ugly Christmas Scarf, which I knit last year as part of a costume for a Holiday Show I was Tap Dancing in...(Don't Ask!)
 
The hat is knit from - What Else??? - That nasty Red Heart Acrylic Red/White/Green yarn...with a wobbly pompom on top...same yarn...ALL my Pompoms are Wobbly.
 
(I use a #5 needle - loose knitter) Cast on 80 sts - 6" of K1/P1...then 3 rows K (red yarn) - K8 - K 2 tog around - K next row...repeat both rows 'til K2tog is left...Scoop remaining sts tog with needle, tail of yarn...Attach pompom made with red/white/green yarn and you have a Totally Ugly Christmas hat...but warm. 
 
Variations, if one wants variations...K2/P2 3 1/2" cuff - 4 1/2" K round...Approx 7 1/2 - 8" total - then decrease....etc. 
 
I was thinking of your Ugly Christmas Sweater....Hat could and was knit in a few hours...Sweater takes lots more time, and I have all those Methodist Caps to finish...More pompoms, etc...which I am Very Bad at making.  All mine are tacky looking...but what the heck...It's a pompom - Not stitchery for a museum quality garment....
 
Charlie Brown would love it....or not!
 
I bet you will come up with a Much Uglier Christmas Hat design...Which I will Love to knit!  I can donate mine to the Methodists!
 
Sandy then went on in another email to talk about her Braid Cap, in TEAL, and here is the pattern for that!!!
 
I don't think you can see the "hole" in the teal hat....I have to have something to pull my hair through as I have a rather heavy braid, and a hat without a hole doesn't fit.
 
After I do a cuff, I knit 3 or 4 rows...then K back and forth til the slit is about 1 1/2"...then K around for the rest of the hat....Easy to pull my hair through and the hat fits well....
 
I had planned to give the teal hat to the Methodist church (with all the others)...Added the bells, as I thought they would be Fun....THEN saw the "Hole"...realized it was a hat I knit last year - put away and forgot about...Thus the reason I Jingle!!!!
 
Any of these hats take about 3 -4 hours to knit, without the "decorations"....I have 5 to add buttons- pompoms - bells - Stuff to tops...then I'm DONE with the Hats already.
 
Thank you Sandy!!! 
 
And I think we all know that Methodists need all sorts of things to liven their lives up ... and who else is there to do just that?   Just us Heathens, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment