Friday, January 13, 2017

Socks!! Socks!! Socks!!

I just saw an ad for $35 fleece lined socks.

I'm at the beginning of a sock knitting binge and thinking about ways to do this. Here's my first thought though: Norwegian tvebandsstrikking using 100% wool, lol, as in real fleece.  I've done mittens with this technique before, and while it's a little difficult to get the hang of, once you're in the groove it flies.

Theresa Vinson Stenersen at Knitty has a marvelous discussion of tvebandsstrikking ... just google the word to get there quickly or better yet tvåändsstickning.

I hold both yarns continental and pick the color I'm using with the knitting needle as I go. If I'm running one color for a larger space, I first pick the yarn up normally, and on the second stitch pick it up behind the unused color and continue, every other stitch picking under and then picking over. 

I've also been known to hold one color on my Continental finger and one on my English, and just cross the yarns every 3, in order to anchor the carried yarn (and also perhaps to anger Zuul).

And OOOOOOOh. Just remembered I have some lovely, if fragile, alpaca/acrylic blend yarns in
pistachio and purple. 

And here are the promised pictures! On the left, both socks on an Addi Sock Rocket 2.25 (size 1) 40" circular needle.  I like using the Magic Loop method of knitting socks -- though I did move to single point size 1 needles for the heels.  On the right a finished sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment