Sunday, January 22, 2017

House Socks - Take Two


I spent about five hours last night trying variations on the Japanese Short-Row, No Wrap Short-Row, Wrapped Short-Row, and 'Heel Stitch' turned heel.


What I've discovered is this: 
  • I don't like any of those heels.
  • Red Heart Super Saver Yarn is hard wearing, but it's also hard on my hands and not suitable for my socks.
  • No sock needs to be part of a pair, because it only takes one.
  • I know how to make a toe, so I can knit Elizabeth Zimmerman's after-thought heel using the fore-thought option.

Back in November, I bought a Caron Cake with the thought that I'd make some brightly colored scarves on the loom or a cardigan or some hats, but screw that. 

I'm about to make a bunch of socks that do not perfectly match any of the others but ultimately match each other perfectly because they come from the same ball of yarn.  They transcend matching.

Yes.  Take that Sock Monster.

I probably need a nap, but I'm going to have more coffee.

And yes, I did avoid the Magic Loop Cast-On war between, Judy's Magic Cast-On, European Knit-On, and the Crochet-Base-I-Don't-Know-But-It-Must-Work-Provisional-Cast-On.   I chose what I call the Herring Bone Cast-On. 

I think HB Cast-On may have happened to me a few years ago when I misunderstood how Turkish Cast-On works.  I kept using it because once you figure out how to tighten it up, it's a cinch.

If you know the real name of this type of cast-on, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment