Sunday, September 17, 2017

Spinning Last Weekend's Goodies...


I'm very happy with the Rambouillet combed top that I bought at the WS&WF at the Green Pastures booth.   It's 4 oz. of wool in the colorway 'Purple Haze' (periwinkle & eggplant variegated). 

It looks like I'll get two bobbins plus a bit, of lace weight singles from that hank. When I've finished the rest of the rolags, I'll be plying it with a commercial periwinkle lace weight from Alpaca Warehouse.  I bought a several 50 gram skeins from AW during a sale but haven't been able to find a project for it until now.  The yarn is a blend of wool, acrylic and alpaca in a periwinkle color that is so close to the lighter color of the roving it's spooky. 

I carded the roving into rolags because, as often happens with acid dyes, the over-dyed eggplant color became a little spongy and uncooperative when it came to spinning.  I wanted a woolen yarn and tried spinning form the fold, but it wasn't cooperating.  Instead, I'm working long-draw on the lighter yarn and devolving to inch-worm when I get to spongy bits.  

The finished yarn should make a nice scarf with big dramatic blocks of periwinkle separated by smaller marled yarn stripes of eggplant/periwinkle.

1 comment:

  1. And now I'm wondering if I used the word periwinkle often enough.

    ReplyDelete