Monday, July 3, 2017

Tatted Hanky Edges

I bought a handful of chopsticks, wrapped in 'napkins' with little elastic napkin rings holding them together at a dollar store a year ago.  They were cheap and I was in a hurry so I really didn't look at them I just grabbed and paid.   Once I got them home, I was afraid to use them because the paint on them was chipping and I really didn't want any of it to drop into my food.

The cloth napkin the chopsticks were wrapped in on the other hand, had possibilities.  Too thin and too small for a napkin, but just the right size and weight for hankies.  They're turning out to be a great way to practice simple edgings.

I strung the 10/0 beads Sz. 20 tatting thread using a GUM Eez-Thru Floss Threader (dental floss), then moved the beads down to the 'ball' side.  When I got to a place where I'd normally put a picot, I slid a bead up tight to the needle and made a Double Stitch to hold the bead in place.


Each of the little arches is made up of Double stitches  (ds) and Picots (p).

Simple pattern:

3ds, P ds,  P ds,  P,  3ds.  Tie a knot and using tatting needle, pierce the hem and tie another knot.  Repeat.

I also used 10/0 seed beads in place of the full loop picots on some of the arches.  The beads made a much neater and sparklier chain.

The 10/0s will be better on earrings and such.  Well see how they stand up to a laundromat washing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment