Monday, September 19, 2011

Schrödinger's Toilet Paper

I'm sure that everyone reading this blog is completely familiar and comfortable with Erwin Schrödinger's Verschränkung that involves a box, a cat, and a random number machine.You can follow the link for a refresher here on quantum mechanics and who was arguing about it when, or take my quicky explanation which is -- a lot of things (on the quantum level) don't actually happen until you see them happen.

What does that have to do with knitting? Well, I'll tell you.  

I would very much like to learn how to make my own 'porcelain' dolls eyes for my Halloween Shoggoth Hat and that is because most truly eerie and chilling eyes cost $9.00 a pair.
 
Nine bucks a pair would be prohibitive for a Shoggoth anything, and a chocking hazard to boot, but frankly right now I don't have the time to learn a new craft for one piece. I've compromised my horrific artistic sensibilities and have substituted glow-in-the-dark yarn for the whites of the eyes on the Toddler version.

While visiting friends this weekend, the three of us were watching the news. I was working on my hats when a commercial featuring an abrasive woman's voice chastised a man for leaving a "naked" roll of toilet paper sitting on the water closet.  A can to house the TP was touted as the "solution" to the "problem." 


My friends, who are world travelers and members of the intelligencia have used bathrooms belonging to friends, relatives, lovers and complete strangers and so have had the opportunity to be confronted by the doll-in-a-hoop-skirt toilet paper cover.  They asked me why any sane person would crochet something like that and I said I'd already decided it was because some people just can't stop knitting/crocheting -- or perhaps they had traumatic potty-training issues and can't pee unless someone is watching.


And so, they gently suggested that my Li'l Shoggoth hat would make a perfect TP cover.  Ahem.  Well!  Okay.  They're right. It would also (with some minor alteration to the pattern) make a superb tea cozy.  And dammit ... it will be one.

I CAN stop knitting anytime I want to stop.  But they've already started putting Xmas decorations up in the stores so it would be a bad idea to quit right now.

I'll be taking pictures with an infant model later in the week.  Until then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment